Topics

Money in Politics subgroup? and two resources #resources #followthemoney

Diane

Is there any interest in a money in politics subgroup?

For those of you who do not see Facebook, here are links to two useful resources that came out of last night's meeting.

From Jen Parrish-Hill:

Just saw this page and thought I'd share here as well. Hope it is helpful:

https://www.resistancecalendar.org/

From Beth Eisenberg:

https://represent.us/

Represent Us is a national group with its headquarters in Florence. This is a well established group whose focus is money in Politics.

Beth Eisenberg <jubilada@...>

I am interested in money in politics and have been in touch with the local( Florence) chapter of represent US, which is called represent Western Mass.
I asked about whether there was a possibility for a hilltowns chapter and the suggestion was that since there have been inquiries that the w mass group is considering having a monthly meeting at the Burgy Grange.
I think that this group has had impressive non partisan support across the country
And has gotten some measures past at the local level,so my thought is that working with them makes sense for me. There is someone in Cummington who will bring something to town meeting in June.
Anyway, I plan to go to a meeting in march in greenfield and can report back to the large group or to a subgroup if one if formed.
Beth

Sent from my iPhone

Vati Sreiberg

For those interested in the money aspect of what's going on and haven't seen this article, it's one of the money pathways being used by this Republican Congress and administration... and the destruction it will bring upon us.

thenearlynow.com/trump-putin-and-the-pipelines-to-nowhere-742d745ce8fd#.jb4zli66v

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 3:10 PM, Beth Eisenberg <jubilada@...> wrote:
I am interested in money in politics and have been in touch with the local( Florence) chapter of represent US, which is called represent Western Mass.
I asked about whether there was a possibility for a hilltowns chapter and the suggestion was that since there have been inquiries that the w mass group is considering having a monthly meeting at the Burgy Grange.
I think that this group has had impressive non partisan support across the country
And has gotten some measures past at the local level,so my thought is that working with them makes sense for me. There is someone in Cummington who will bring something to town meeting in June.
Anyway, I plan to go to a meeting in march in greenfield and can report back to the large group or to  a subgroup if one if formed.
Beth

Sent from my iPhone

Gloria Conwell

Thank you, Vati!!!!  I have much to learn about this...  Perhaps it is a good thing that we are all so shaken by recent events that new lines of communication and information are opening up for those of us who want to learn from them.  I so appreciate the response to my email that Rodofo wrote.  Beth has very strong points.   And (back to financial issues) I find it sooooo hard to believe (or understand, let alone accept) anyone's desire to return to the 60's and 60's, no matter what stories of corruption in the past we might uncover (I suspect that there are plenty of them, but what we need and have to deal with is the here and now!).
        Please keep the comments and suggestions coming.  This afternoon I have been thinking of perhaps structuring a discussion with The Other Side from a strategic point of view:  opening gambits, ways to extend a conversation, and exit strategies.  Exit strategies might sound negative, but, at some point, it may become obvious that the person you are talking with has absolutely no interest in our point(s) of view, and it would be helpful to have a handy way to exit the conversation without causing ill will.  In addition, if you feel that the person or group you are trying to sway is leaning towards what you are saying, it might give you the extra confidence to push your point if you know you have a way out of it -- if your pushing point bombs (as it were).  Been there, done that (not very well!  Suggestions welcome!!!).
        Thinking ahead, do any of you think that it might be a good idea to put all of our experiences and ideas into an article that might actually get published?  I personally am reluctant to disclose personal stuff to the world at large, but now I am hearing so much from other people that I truly think should be shared.  Our personal histories are powerful!!  Just a thought.
        Looking forward, Gloria

Sent from my iPad