From: Zeke at Amnesty International USA <alerts@....org>
Subject: Our Next Step to Defend Human Rights at Standing Rock
Date: January 26, 2017 at 8:22:28 AM MST

template imagetemplate image

Submit a Comment to the Army’s Environmental Review of DAPL

Get Involved

Take Action!

Share This Action

Share on Facebook. Share on Twitter.

Dear Friends,

Thank you for taking action to condemn President Trump’s unconscionable memo advancing the Dakota Access Pipeline. His action disregarded the serious human rights and environmental concerns about the pipeline raised by the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe and other Indigenous Peoples.

Here’s the good news and what we need you to do: The Army Corps of Engineers’ Environmental review of the pipeline is still open for public comment. Amnesty International will be filling a submission soon. We need you to send in a comment too.

We have to hurry, because at any time the Army Corps may decide to stop the review, as President Trump requested in his memo. The more submissions the Army Corps receives, the more likely it is they will continue their review and take human rights into account.

Here’s how to submit a comment to the Army Corps of Engineers review of DAPL:

  • Send an email to Mr. Gib Owen at gib.a.owen.civ@....
  • Please use “NOI Comments, Dakota Access Pipeline Crossing” as the subject of your email.
  • Read the Army Corps of Engineers’ notice about the review here.
  • Please note that what you submit will likely be made public. Consider this before providing any personal information in your submission.
  • Please let me know if you submitted a comment by emailing iar@....
  • Here’s an example of what you can write, along with your own personal views. Please make your email personal:
Thank you for conducting an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) review of the Dakota Access Pipeline crossing of the Missouri River at Lake Oahe. This review must take into account the serious concerns of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe, as well as downriver Indigenous Peoples and other communities, about the impact of the pipeline on the right to access to water, right to a healthy environment, Indigenous rights, cultural rights, Treaty rights and other human rights recognized in international law.

Furthermore, the Army Corps should expand the EIS review to include the entire pipeline, not just the Missouri River crossing at Lake Oahe, and take into account the concerns of all people who may be affected.

Regardless of the outcome of the EIS review, the government should seek the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe’s free, prior and informed consent (FPIC) before any permits for the pipeline are issued or any construction takes place. The requirement for FPIC in such circumstances is enshrined in international law. The EIS is not sufficient to fulfil the human right of Indigenous People to have decision making power on issues that may harm their rights.

The U.S. government must respect, protect and fulfill the human rights of Indigenous Peoples, including those of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe.

Thank you for being a human rights defender,

Zeke

Zeke Johnson
Managing Director, Individuals at Risk Program
Amnesty International USA
Take Action!